UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

+4
Almondo74
ADAM
Miniswift
daymoon
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

Post  daymoon 06/07/10, 08:56 pm

ah yeah that helps! thankS!

What exactly is this charcoal canister? i mean what does it do? never heard of that before?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 Empty Re: GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

Post  Almondo74 06/07/10, 09:14 pm

its the black box thing in the box right of the picture, i dont really know, its 2 do with vapour and/or vacuum lines, 1 comes from the petrol tank thats all i know. U wud have to read the manual to find out, or if u want to just accept its there for a reason; connect it and save gettin a headache lol.
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexGTIFleming 17/07/10, 06:29 pm

So wat do u need for a conversion all together, gti engine & loom. Bumpers lights hood front wings? Wat else, help :L

AlexGTIFleming

Character sheet
first car: Swift GTI

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 17/07/10, 06:58 pm

fuel pump or a better 1 thats already on it,
full gti conversion wud b brakes and everything,
sideskirts
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexGTIFleming 17/07/10, 08:12 pm

Cheers to get the enginenin and running wat do i need?

AlexGTIFleming

Character sheet
first car: Swift GTI

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 17/07/10, 08:50 pm

engine
loom
ecu
fuel pump(will work with 1L fuel pump but strugles to start)

you will want gti gearbox or else there aint much point and drive shafts i wud of thought

its cheaper quicker and easier to just buy a gti, even if u have to wait for 1 to come along near u.
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 20/07/10, 08:43 pm

you will also need the chassis loom from a GTI, because the plugs go together but the wires dont match up either side, so you dont get a spark, and u also dont have the line for the oil pressure sensor. so its a dash out job to swap the chassis loom, but thts as far as it goes, you dont change any of the interior loom or rear lights.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

http://www.tyrrellautomotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 20/07/10, 08:50 pm

I am still not in the know about the fuel pump. are they all same fitment? gls and gti?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 20/07/10, 09:26 pm

cant help there unfortunately, i left my GS one on
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 20/07/10, 09:30 pm

does yours actually run now?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 20/07/10, 09:32 pm

yep all runs and goes pretty damn well. ive just finished a post on it in the swift gallery bit, wasnt really sure where to put it.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 29/07/10, 10:53 am

I am stuck.

I need to seperate shaft ( with centre bearing support) from the main drive shaft ( right hand side drvei shaft).

In my manual it says "drive it out using plastic hammer".

I have tied that and although there is now some movement on the joint the F***er wont seperate. :pissedoff: broke my hammer now too..

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 29/07/10, 10:59 pm

Hello,

Have you managed to take it off now?

What do you mean by separate them?
Are you hoping to change a bearing in shaft carrier?
If so good luck. I managed to do that with c-clip tool and great big hammer well...copper mallet.
If you are talking about something else, let us know!

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 29/07/10, 11:05 pm

Whaat i need to do is to take the small shaft off from the main shaft and put it together with another driveshaft i got.

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 30/07/10, 05:02 pm

Hi,

I don't understand why it is not coming off.
I have separated G13B engine many times.
I think in total I had about 10 engine and gearboxes in 5-6 years of my Mini/Swift project.
I think the half shaft(with bearing housing) will slide out after taking 3 bolts off the engine block. Then the drive shaft is fitted with a pot joint where ball bearings and cage fit into it.

I don't remember this bit as my engine and gearboxs I have are mostly mk1.
I think I had 1 or 2 middle shaft and mounting thing but I don't have driveshaft anymore.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 30/07/10, 05:37 pm

Hi, usually i just pull the driveshaft to put tension on it and then tap it out with a hammer.

If it comes to it, i have a spare half shaft if you need it
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 30/07/10, 09:39 pm

I will probably get a half shaft from the bloke i am getting my rear brakes from. Only 15 miles down the road...

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 04/08/10, 09:15 pm

Riiiiiiiiight! Started the conversion today.

Was relatively plain sailing to remove engine and drive train. Got it all out no problems.
Whole loom came out no problem too.

Then i realised that GTi dash loom is same but got different plugs, so i installed( almost) the gti dash loom i have acuired together with engine..

Then me and my sisters BF( who was helping me all day) decided to put the engine in so we can return the engine crane i hired locally.

Firstly we used wrong rear gearbox mount - well i did, i just bolted the 3 cyl one... So removed that as soon as we realised that( 15 minute of trying to position the engine). Oh well... So I dug out proper GTi mount fitted that - yep much better, Fitted drivers side mount - engine seemed to line up well. Then we got onto gearbox side mount... Wouldnt line up at all.... The mount itself ( Bush) was sitting about 55mm too far forward... Found a solution to this problem - use one of the original bolts on the bracket and get a plate welded on to extend the mount. Engine is now bolted in, although not completly.

This is what i need to get done with engine mount:

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 10072010359

Red is where i need plate welding, black is for hole where bush will bolt on, i still can use one original hole in GTi bracket.

Moved onto wiring side of things... Inserted main front end loom( goes from one headlight into the car, along the window through the inner wing to the headlight). Connected some looms etc, then started looking at headlight connections etc.. Plugs for headlights - same, but i think other wiring plugs been changed. So will spend tomorrow soldering stuff...

Hopefully i can get the mount done tomorrow so i can bolt the engine in and get the car back on wheels..

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 04/08/10, 09:38 pm

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 DSCF0412

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 DSCF0414

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 DSCF0416

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion - Page 2 DSCF0411

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 05/08/10, 12:51 am

is this just going to be running standard power?

Looks good anyway Smile

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 05/08/10, 08:05 am

Yes, for now...

I m of to an engenering place, with a new plan i saw on team swift...

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 29/08/10, 10:51 am

Hi,

I got G10 engine from Nik now, thanks.
Enjoy your G13B Swift, bit more and you can enojoy fully as running in is pain.

Good luck
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2