UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gti conversion help

4 posters

Go down

gti conversion help Empty gti conversion help

Post  swiftkid 19/03/11, 08:07 pm

Started my conversion this week and now engine is in, my problem is the wiring, I've put the loom in that goes along the top of the dash to the headlights but there is no connection to the loom going to the rear of the car or the indicator stalks, I have heard the actual dash loom needs replacing but that wouldn't solve my problem.

Do I need to start cutting and splicing or am I missing something, and do I need to swap the stalks over?

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

gti conversion help Empty Re: gti conversion help

Post  jones 19/03/11, 09:14 pm

I'm fitting a mk2 ph1 dash at the moment and the wiring for the stalks is on the stalk unit so I have had to swap mine and the wiring for the rear lights is a seperate wiring loom that going from the dash fusebox to the rear lights and fuel pump. I think mk2 ph2 wiring is the same setup but differant connecters
jones
jones

Character sheet
first car: Mk1 swift gs

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 19/03/11, 09:38 pm

So do I need to swap the loom going to the back then? Guess I'll need to buy some stalks, getting really annoyed with this conversion, every piece of information I have read about this conversion has been wrong so far

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  jones 19/03/11, 10:47 pm

Ya on my car all the connectors are differance and have a look at the connectors for the ignition barrel too coz on my car the connectors are differant to. What wiring loom are you using ?? Mk2 ph1 or mk2 ph2
jones
jones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 20/03/11, 10:28 am

I think its a mk2 ph2, I had a thought, is there any reason why I can't use my existing coil and wiring, then just swap connectors over to match the big plug at the passenger side in the engine bay? Sorry if that's a bit vague, havnt had a look at wiring diagram yet but that would make my life a lot easier

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  jones 20/03/11, 11:55 am

If your swapping the engine for a 1,3 8v to a 1,3 16v I think you might get away with swapping the connectors. I'm not the far yet so I'm not 100% sure
jones
jones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 20/03/11, 11:58 am

well I just had a look at there are 9 wires connecting to 9 wires, they are different colours so im on the lookout for a wiring diagram for both at the moment to make sure they will go together but in theory that should solve all the problems and make the conversion a hell of alot easier.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for a 95' gti or a 97' gls i would appreciate it! thanks

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 20/03/11, 12:50 pm

I just fitted a mk2 phase dash aswell in my gl to gti conversion, easy just get all gti loom everything dont have to cut shit then
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 20/03/11, 12:56 pm

I've got most of the wiring, I have
-engine bay to ECU
-engine bay to cabin
-dash loom

Thing is nothing plugs in to the loom from the rear of the car, there are plugs that are different in the near the headlights, my indicator stalks are different as well as other wires. Im either going to have to cut pretty much every part of the loom to get it to fit or somehow get my gls loom to marry up to the gti loom which would be much easier, then just use the gls coil. I have read that it won't fire if I do that but to be honest most of the advice I have read has been wrong anyway so i might as well try it

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  jones 20/03/11, 02:10 pm

See if anyone on here has a spare wiring looms for the rear lights. There's a Suzuki swift manual (cd)on eBay for about £4 but not sure if there's wiring diagrams on it or not
jones
jones

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 20/03/11, 07:18 pm

Hi mate, What year is the car your converting and what year car has the engine and looms come from?

When i did my conversion i had a 1992 Mk2 Phase 2 GS and a 1992 Mk2 Phase 2 GTi as a donor.

I needed the GTi engine loom and the loom which goes from the head lights into the cabin behind the dash, i think thats called the chassis loom.

The chassis loom connected front lights, coil, windscreen wiper motor, washer jets, rad fan, horn and thats possibly about it in the engine bay, then when it came into the car it connects on the passenger side to a small connector which runs to the back of the car, then along the bottom of the screen over to the drivers side where it connects to the fuse box, and a few connections around the steering column and to another small connector which goes to the back of the car, there is also another blue or brown connector near this.
This is all from memory so may not be 100% correct but pretty much there.

I didnt have to do any splicing or chopping of the loom the GS interior and dash loom connected up perfectly to the GTi chassis loom. Yes there are a few connections not connected to anything but i believe that is for if you have such things as power steering, electric windows etc.

I think the problem you may have is different phase looms.
ADAM
ADAM

http://www.tyrrellautomotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 20/03/11, 09:37 pm

I have a mk3 gls and the engine is, i think, a mk2 ph2. The problems are some plugs behind the headlights, I believe its to the sidelights and the level adjustment, the indicator stalks, the loom to the rear of the car and thats from what i can remember. Can't remember about a plug on the passenger side, what i'm going to try is using the original gls looms and just swapping the large grey plug on the passenger side in the engine bay so I can use the gti engine bay loom. Just need to find a wiring diagram for both cars to make sure it will work

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 26/03/11, 06:19 pm

Right, im going to try something and it may not work but on the other hand it may do and will make my life a hell of alot easier. Im going to use the gls dash loom including the coil and just swap/cut and splice the main plug from the ECU to the dash loom at the passenger side and another one that goes into the cabin with the ECU loom.

Just researching what the wires do at the moment but can anyone confirm if this theory will work?

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 26/03/11, 08:21 pm

just get every loom you need from a gti then it will all be a streight swap makes life easyer
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 27/03/11, 08:25 pm

Yea but that means searching for yet more wiring at yet more expense and to be honest I've come to a point where im on the brink of scrapping the car/selling it as an unfinished project.
I've put the old gls wiring back in today and like everyone has said the wires in the dash plug in but apparently don't match, I have got a full wiring diagram for both cars so will be trying to figure out which wire does what do I can find out how easy things are going to be.

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum