UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

+4
Almondo74
ADAM
Miniswift
daymoon
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion Empty GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

Post  daymoon 05/05/10, 10:35 pm

Right, seeing as i am deffo going through with the conversion and i have a million and two questions i thought i'd make a thread so we can keep the forum clean(er).

Some details:
My car: 2001 3cyl Swift GLS
Donor: 1994 GTi

First few questions

1) How do i tell difference between inner and outer CV's?
2) how do i tell if cams are stock or uprated?
3) Fitting an oil cooler: what is required and where to get?
4) engine loom, does it include plug for coil? and a plug for fuse box under bonnet?

I looked at my loom under bonnet and around the fuse box it all looks very different!!

thats it for now Wink

Last edited by daymoon on 04/08/10, 09:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

daymoon

Back to top Go down

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion Empty Re: GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

Post  Miniswift 06/05/10, 09:36 am

Hi,

Inner CV and outer CV....
Outer is where hub/disc brake is. Inner is where gearbox and drive shaftsfit into so, it is totally different.

Oil cooler......
You won't need them.
Running oil too cold is not good for your engine. You only need to fit them when you are running turbo charger or something which uses oil as a cooling method. For NA, keep it simple.
If you must fit them, I would fit a heat exchanger type with coolant rather than take off to radiator type. Heat exchanger type will benefitwhen you just start up. oil and coolant will help each other when they warm up from cold start.

I have seen soooo many Gti engine which has oval bore due to boy racers driving hard from cold.
Well.... I was one of them I must admit but think about it.

If you need to get hold of one, I think you can use classic Mini setup.
I'm 100% sure thread is same for Mini and Gti as I fitted my brand new mini oil filter to Gti engine.
So, go to scrap yard and find Metro with A-series engine and you will find head exchager type take off. The extension thread pipe.... you can buy one from Merlin(link below)
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/OIL-SYSTEMS-Extension-Bolts/c162_255/index.html
https://www.europaspares.com/OIL_COOLING/

It will be expensive practice for you.
I would just keeop it as it is as benefit is not there for you for std engine.
Use your money elsewhere!

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion Empty Re: GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion

Post  ADAM 06/05/10, 01:14 pm

Right as you know im doing a similar conversion (a 1.3 8v swift to a GTI), all be it slowly Embarassed due to uni course work and exams

What i have found whilst doing mine is that i have had to change the chassis loom so that every thing is powerd. this is becasue the grey plug underneath the fuse box in the engine bay does fits the plug off of the engine loom but none of the wires match up, so without changing the chassis loom, (front lights to behind the dash) the car would turn ova on the started but would not send a spark this is becasue the coil was not getting the power or signals from this grey connector as the wires are the wrong way round. Also with the GS's chassis loom the coils plugs dont match up so the ignitor and coil done plug in properly.

With the Chassis loom off of my donor car on my original car hopefully these problems aswell as the oil pressure sensor wire can all be plugged in and the car will start. I will have to let you know if this is the case tho as i havnt finished swapping the looms over yet.

The coil plugs come from the chassis loom not the engine loom which is the main reason you have to change the chassis looms over.

I hope my rambling has made sense if not let me know and i will have another go lol

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

http://www.tyrrellautomotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 06/05/10, 10:27 pm

have u not tried using your existing coil?

or just chop the plug on a gti loom and cut into your existing loom?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 07/05/10, 12:03 am

Yes i originally tried it with the original coil but didnt work because of the two plugs, engine loom and chassis fusebox, they are not even particularly close to matching up.

The problem is that the GS coil needed two wires for the coil its self, and then 4 for the ignitor, where as the GTI needs 2 for the coil, and only 3 for the ignitor, so as you said you could chop and change the plugs over but you have to trace which goes where and some of the wires on the GTI are different colours than on the GS and this would be a reasonable amount of trial and error. You also would still have the problem of the oil pressure sensor wire. On the GS it connected into the engine loom and on the GTI it is on the chassis loom so you would need to manually wire that into the back of the clocks if u were to stick with the GS/GLS chassis loom.

I also wanted to know that i had done it properly with the correct loom which hasnt been choped and spliced and buggered about with.

I figured that having the proper loom installed would mean less problems later on.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 07/05/10, 09:11 am

i had a look through all wires today comparing plugs etc..

on mine ignitor has 3 wires and coil has 2.

When i looked through the front end loom ( i got most of the loom of the donor car)
i couldnt find a plug that goes to the coil, although i found plug for the ignitor and there was plug for two wires with this sort of plug: |__

hope that makes sense....

where does coils pplug is supposed to come from? cos when i pluged everything i could into the fuse box i still had one empty slot....could that be coil plug?

and thanks for all the help Laughing

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 07/05/10, 01:22 pm

Adam, just re - read your post, now i see that coil plug is coming out of chassy loom..

could you get a pic how it looks?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 08/05/10, 09:22 am

it all makes sense now Very Happy

that plug for the coil was always under my nose haha

now another question,

there are two wires coming out of fuse box ( red and black) on mine they are cut off, what are they for?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 08/05/10, 09:27 am

Hi,

Do you have a service manual, boys?
It will help very much if you have them.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 08/05/10, 09:32 am

yeah i have a service manual, mechanical part is excelent, but electrial i found being not that usefull

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 08/05/10, 04:17 pm

Glad it made sense, even if it took two reads, im not the best at explaining things via text.

I cant picture the two wires your talking about, u got a picture? i know there are a few wires and plugs over the engine bay which dont hav anything to plug into

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 11/05/10, 08:50 pm

Adam, forgot about this, will take a pic tomorrow.

I am thinking about getting engine rebuilt.
Where can i piston rings, main bearings and conrod bearings?
and how much roughly will they cost?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 13/05/10, 09:51 am

New question:

Where do i get seals for drive shafts on gearbox? mine look tired so better replace them, is it something that motorfactors would be able to supply or suzuki/internet only?

thanks

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 13/05/10, 01:08 pm

Hi,

Oil seal wise, take it off your gearbox and take it to bearing supplier.
They will be able to get hold of you for much cheaper price than main dealer.
Some of motor factor can get you some as well.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 13/05/10, 01:09 pm

sweet, going to motorfactors tomorrow anyway, so gonna ask!

thanks!

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 13/05/10, 01:58 pm

Hi,
Do you have Partco near you?
For mk1, it is 09283-35025.
If they ask you for reg, use E546FFL for mk1 Gti as iy is my scrapped Gti.

Find out mk2 has same part numbers.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 14/05/10, 12:05 pm

Nope local motorfactor shp cant get them, they say Suzuki only supply them..

will pay them a visit next week....

the picture of cut off wires in the loom that joins fuse box:

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion DSCF0076

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 20/05/10, 12:23 pm

anyone on above wiring?

also, on 92-95 gti, inner and out CV joints, are they the same?

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 20/05/10, 10:01 pm

sorry i cant really see in that pic what exactly is goin on.

With regard to the cv's i would asume they are the same as the engines and boxes didnt change i dont think.

Just to let u know, my swift is all running now since i changed the chassis loom.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 04/07/10, 10:44 am

Right, got the seals from Suzuki - 25 pounds for the pair.

Now,

in this picture,, where cap no4 for the main bearings - it has a thread in it.. does anything go there?

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion DSCF0293

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 04/07/10, 12:32 pm

Where do these go?
GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion DSCF0300

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion DSCF0297

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 04/07/10, 05:16 pm

i Know the black 90 degree pole thing goes between the inlet manifold and the engine on the right hand side.
and ill have a look for the rest when it stops raining

Ross
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 05/07/10, 06:07 pm

sq bracket is on t/b-alt
the hose your holding is for vacume on brake booster, should have a one way valve on it, what is the thing jubile clipped on to it?
didnt they come on the engine when you got it?

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 06/07/10, 07:10 pm

Found where the square one goes and bolted it on.

Cannot find where round on goes though. ;(

Dominator - do you mean that gold coloured thing? if so - i have no idea, looks like a breather or something, was there when i bought the engine.

Do you know where that small hose goes? on the right side of the pic?

Thanks

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 06/07/10, 08:41 pm

GLS to GTi conversion thread:Started conversion Dscf3310

Hope this pic helps, and the other tube with the sleeve goes to the charcoal canister thingy,
mine doesnt have that gold thing just straight to the brake booster
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next