UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.0L turbo

+2
Salto
benhaigh10
6 posters

Go down

1.0L turbo Empty 1.0L turbo

Post  benhaigh10 15/08/13, 02:27 pm

Hi guys, I've started the motions to turbo my 3cyl. I've got most of the parts to do it but I'm a bit stuck with how I'm going to plum the turbo into the intake on the spi unit. Has anyone done a turbo conversion on a 3cyl. That can help me with this issue? Also I think I'm probably going to run an oil cooler too but does anyone know where I can get hold of a sandwich plate?
Cheers

benhaigh10

Back to top Go down

1.0L turbo Empty Re: 1.0L turbo

Post  Salto 15/08/13, 05:30 pm

Why not swap it to gti? Its loads cheaper and more reliable, and loads of porential!

That being said, a guy in the netherlands built a setup(did have lots of issues).

1.0L turbo IMG_0764

You will find a lot on teamswift.net, in 'murica they have a lot of 3 cil turbos from factory.

Salto

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitro 15/08/13, 06:46 pm

There is the space for holes on the top of the cylinder head mate which you can drill out for injectors then all you will need is a custom inlet manifold to run a throttle body, I'm contemplating if I should build a 3cyl turbo engine for my reliant kitten, its already set up for the g13b but I want to keep the weight down as low as possable and if by dropping a cyl it will help so be it lol. I no atchi has some info on them and there is a g10 turbo head with I.let and exhaust mani for sale on eBay USA but the postage is more than he wants for the head (I've already asked lol) take a look and see if its worth wile but I didn't think so.

Nitro
Nitro
Nitro

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  xchipx 15/08/13, 06:49 pm

Nitro wouldnt the g10 weigh more than the g13 once you factor in the additional weight of a turbo, intercooler, charge tubing, oil feeds etc?
xchipx
xchipx

Character sheet
first car: Swift 1.6 4wd Sedan

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 15/08/13, 07:20 pm

Hi,

This is one line of to do list!
I'm in the process of making turbo manifold which is almost complete.
I have made trigger wheel for MS and I have made MS ECU already. I just don't have enough time to do anything with my work load as well as kids!

If you want anything, let me know. I should be able to get flanges cut for you and send it to you at cost price.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitro 20/08/13, 07:09 am

xchipx wrote:Nitro wouldnt the g10 weigh more than the g13 once you factor in the additional weight of a turbo, intercooler, charge tubing, oil feeds etc?
That's what I was hopeing mate I just need to pull my finger out, got way too many projects on the go atm so once I've had a sort out I'm goin to get cracking and il b e sending you a message atchi ;-) will deffo get the ball rolling with the g10, already got a rebuild, re-bore and head work price from my engine guy n I'm quite happy with it so il be getting it all done befor the years out hopefully if all goes well
Nitro
Nitro

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  benhaigh10 22/08/13, 12:49 pm

Salto wrote:Why not swap it to gti? Its loads cheaper and more reliable, and loads of porential!

That being said, a guy in the netherlands built a setup(did have lots of issues).

1.0L turbo IMG_0764

You will find a lot on teamswift.net, in 'murica they have a lot of 3 cil turbos from factory.
I was going to do the gti conversion but it would mean changing the whole loom engine and interior and I just don't have the time to do that, my swift is my only car so it's a little bit awkward. It's probably going to sound totally ridiculous to you guys but cost isn't a problem really as I can squire plenty of second hand parts for next to nothing. I'm sure that's the wrong way to go about it but if it breaks it breaks! Haha that intake in the picture is amazing, did he make that himself by any chance or is there anyone you know that already has something along the same lines? Sorry for the late reply by the way I've just been so busy with work etc that I forgot I posted this! Haha

benhaigh10

Back to top Go down

Post  benhaigh10 22/08/13, 12:55 pm

Nitro wrote:There is the space for holes on the top of the cylinder head mate which you can drill out for injectors then all you will need is a custom inlet manifold to run a throttle body, I'm contemplating if I should build a 3cyl turbo engine for my reliant kitten, its already set up for the g13b but I want to keep the weight down as low as possable and if by dropping a cyl it will help so be it lol. I no atchi has some info on them and there is a g10 turbo head with I.let and exhaust mani for sale on eBay USA but the postage is more than he wants for the head (I've already asked lol) take a look and see if its worth wile but I didn't think so.

Nitro
I'm probably just going to keep the spi unit if I'm honest mate. I was thinking about getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator just to up the pressure a bit when the turbo is on. I have a complete turbo set up off an old diesel Astra so it's a low blow which shouldn't be too extreme on the poor little 3cyl. In regards to manifold and flanges atchi, I'm just going to cut the flange off the Astra manifold, cut the flange off my standard manifold and I've found somebody that welds cast iron really cheap so he said he'd fizz it all together for me, would you recommend that I make some sort of a turbo brace?

benhaigh10

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 22/08/13, 07:15 pm

Hi,

Welding cast iron is very difficult to work properly.
You will need to heat both of them to high temp I don't remember well but about 400C will work.
Then weld it quickly using correct rods.
I think making turbo brace will be good as it will be hanging down from 3 pots not 4 like 1.7 Tdi. Turbo diesel is running at lower temp so be careful.
You can make a top hat system and use bigger injector than standard. I will try to change con-rods as G10 has very thin web. At least Gti con-rods will be good choice.

So, keeping car on the road while doing turbo conversion will be not good idea!

Can you not get a spare engine and change it over the weekend? this way, you can have 75mm Vitara pistons with GTi con-rods!

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  benhaigh10 24/08/13, 06:17 pm

I think I will do what you said atchi in regards to getting another engine to build up first. The man who is welding the manifold for me does stuff like that for a living so it should be a reasonable job Smile and what injector would you recommend?
Cheers

benhaigh10

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 25/08/13, 12:03 am

iv got a 3cylinder engine ben in another mk2 swift, if u take it out you can have it 70kmiles but hasnt been moved in 2-3years.
also got spare gti rods Wink

Ross
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down