UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

changing rear brakes!!

3 posters

Go down

changing rear brakes!!  Empty changing rear brakes!!

Post  azza020191 12/05/11, 11:35 pm

Hello guys, ive just come in from the garage trying to change my rear brakes and ive come stuck !!! the problem im having is i can't get the piston pushed back in the piston enough for it to slide over discs. The piston face has notches on it which line up with the little dowl kinda bits on the back of the pads, is this ment to spin and wind in to the piston? if so how do u move them coz i can't seem to spin it at all, the pads and discs i bought are for chassis No AA34s, Any help would be great.
Regards Aaron

azza020191

Back to top Go down

changing rear brakes!!  Empty Re: changing rear brakes!!

Post  gtpswift 13/05/11, 08:51 am

Aaron,
the rear caliper pistons rotate as per a standard thread, I use needle nose pliers and use the nose to insert into those tabs ont he face of the piston to rotate, sometimes they get stuck especially if they are old, I use a cold chisel and hammer and a few light taps frees them up so I can rotate by hand. Conversely a grinder tightening tool (like the suzuki special tool) sometimes also works and offers greater leaverage.
The piston should ultimately sit flush witht he rubber dust boot. Fill the caliper with WD40 of brake fluid to aide in lubrication if they are dry.

good luck.

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 13/05/11, 09:16 am

or just buy a brake wind back tool
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down