UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke

5 posters

Go down

problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke  Empty problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke

Post  leachy 02/05/11, 04:26 pm

Like it says at high rpm sometimes im geting oil chucked in2 the air filter and bad smoke. when it first happend i thought it was rings untill the next day it ran like nothing had ever happened. the compression check read, think it was (fom the left 2 right) 250, 230, 220, 220. ive been reading about a possible head gasket flaw where 1 of the drainage holes in the gasket is not big enough. there are also people using an oil catch can set up, does n 1 use this setup and has n e 1 had a similar problem, n e help or advise will be much apprciated.

Last edited by leachy on 02/05/11, 05:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

leachy

Character sheet
first car: swift gti (of course)

Back to top Go down

problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke  Empty Re: problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke

Post  Almondo74 02/05/11, 05:06 pm

its a stupid question but have u by anychance put too much oil in?
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke  Empty Re: problem with blowing oil out of the air filter and causing smoke

Post  leachy 02/05/11, 05:39 pm

that was what we thought it was at first cuz it was a lil bit over due 2 the car being parked on a slight slope Embarassed but yesterday i cleaned up all the induction kit, did oil and filter and after a good belting dwn sum lanes Very Happy i did it again Sad were thinking cuz i snapped a bolt in the head when i was fitting my cams we had 2 do sum drilling maybe sum crap got in 2 the small drainage hole in the gasket which is causing the oil pressure 2 build and spit it in2 the induction.

leachy

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 02/05/11, 06:47 pm

i hope u had ur engine flushed out good, after drilling a bolt in the head Shocked
if any fillings get into ur engine u can pretty much kiss it goodbye

Ross
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 02/05/11, 07:17 pm

do a leak down test and report the findings sounds like preassurisation of the rocker cover blowing oil back into the inlet/filter area, perhaps suggesting valves or valve stem seal leak.
good luck.

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 03/05/11, 08:12 pm

could be a blockage in the head, maybe some swarf got in the small oilways which might cause a backpressure, or got under the hyd lifter tearing the stem seal
you might just be lucky and its only in the head but i would pull the engine, clean and rebuild, i take it you sheard the bolt when you refitted the head?
how much torque were you using when you did them up?
did you use new ones or studs?

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  leachy 03/05/11, 09:27 pm

nah sorry i didnt mean the headbolts just 1 of the bolts that go in2 the brackets that hold the cams down. i dunno what the proper name 4 em is Embarassed the head was on the car when it happened but the blocked passage is what my friend thought aswell, he said 2 get a telescopic magnet down there and if nuffin comes out try blow them through with an air line. does no 1 use the oil catch can set up then? cuz thats what i was planning 2 do. and does n e 1 know why there are 2 breathers on the cam cover but only 1 of them has 1 of them valves on?

leachy

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  typhoon 04/05/11, 07:55 pm

maybe you have a breather blocked somewhere

although my race car blows shed loads out via my oil catch tank,even though its routed direct back to the sump,it still smokes through the breather

think its just a thing the swift engine does as both my race engines have done the same thing
typhoon
typhoon

Back to top Go down

Post  leachy 05/05/11, 04:57 pm

how did u go about routing it bk 2 the sump? i was seriously thinking about putting my spare engine in its pissing me off that much

leachy

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  typhoon 05/05/11, 05:25 pm

have to drill and tap the sump and fit a pipe direct from breather outlets,but either way you still have to let the engine breath or it will just blow oil out of the weakest area

ill upload some pics of mine at the weekend so you can see what i mean
typhoon
typhoon

Back to top Go down

Post  leachy 31/07/11, 03:19 pm

After this post months ago i couldnt really find out what was wrong with it as i ran a catch tankbut it contiued 2 smoke so i just got fed up with it and put in my spare engine. the engine ran sweet much better than the other, got round 2 putting in my fast road cams at the weekend on standard timing and it was perfect.it got a couple of days of abuse ang 2 day it started the whole smoking thing again Sad ive cained it a few times since and it hasnt done it again but im bricking it incase it does. i dont get how the cams would be responsable but it has only ever done it when there in.

leachy

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down