UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wanted: more gti parts

+2
daymoon
swiftkid
6 posters

Go down

wanted: more gti parts Empty wanted: more gti parts

Post  swiftkid 28/10/10, 06:24 pm

Just my luck, got hold of a loom and intake pipe for my gti conversion, turns out its a mk1 engine and looms are completely different. Serves me right I suppose for not doing my research properly.

So now I am after a mk1 gti loom, maf, intake pipe and air filter if anyone has anything. Thanks

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

wanted: more gti parts Empty Re: wanted: more gti parts

Post  daymoon 28/10/10, 06:51 pm

i am pretty sure you can use mk2 loom on mk1 engine?

it depends what other wiring you have in place

also i offered you some disc brakes but you never replied. do you want them? Laughing

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 28/10/10, 07:45 pm

Got gti front and rear anti-roll bars.

Not sure if the gti ones are beefier then stock but i have them if you want.

Also got front and rear discs,pads and hoses.
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 28/10/10, 09:08 pm

sorry daymoon, thought i had replied to that topic but obviously not. I'll leave the discs unless they are going cheap, hoping to get the engine sorted and running before i start upgrading, who knows, i might hate it and sell after its done!

Well i have been doing some research and apparently they don't, the mk2/mk3 looms are the same but apparently the mk1 is different. I was trying to piece together a loom i bought the other day to my engine i bought and there are a few plugs missing. I will have another look when i get a chance anyway

Again with the anti roll bars, if they are going cheap i could be interested.

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 31/10/10, 12:49 am

dont worry bout the loom
as its mk1 it will have vacume advance igntion so aslong as you can get an automatic fuel cut instaled (incase of accident) then you could go with a nice carb setup

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 31/10/10, 12:19 pm

Well I originally wanted to go for a carb setup but I have my worries about emissions for mot. What would be involved in a fuel cutoff system? And how would I go about sorting the ignition out, not really sure how it works. Thanks

Oh and just to make clear I have a mk1 engine and mk2 loom.

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 01/11/10, 06:15 pm

if you want to use carbs you wont need the gti loom as none of the engines sensors will be used, alot of people that do a carb conv keep the std ecu to keep the fuel cut
im guessing your 8v was inj to start with so there should be one on there already, so if you use the std pump regulated to low pressure for the carbs then there should be no problems
as for the igntion, coz you have a mk1 engine it will have vacume advance for the ignition which means the ecu dusnt control the adv, the vacume dus, perfect for the carb conv
have you got any pics of the engine?

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 01/11/10, 10:04 pm

Hi,

I have mk1 Gti pipe, air filter box with holes for K+N panel filter to fit in std air box.
I think I have a mk1 ECU, but like Gary said. If you have mk1 engine with dizzy, you are a lucky man.

I will change following to make your car run OK.
Fuel pump(carbs only need 4psi)
Fuel pressure regulator
Try to find cam drive pulley off mk2 as mk1 cam belt will snap as little as 20k miles. Also buy mk2 onwords cam belts cover(I snapped mine with a stone getting in).
Fuel cut off is only needed with injection cars as carbs run much lower fuel pressure.

If you can get hold of mk2 Gti head, change it as mk1 has bit restricted head.
You may know already but mk1 come with 95Bhp(97ps) instead of 103Bhp(105ps)

If you want to know mk1 stuff, let me know. I got few books about it.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 02/11/10, 12:51 pm

Well i'm glad this engine is usable for what i need it for. Was starting to get downhearted like i usually do with engine conversions and then sell everything! like i did with my R32 in corrado project that i regret not doing!

Anyway, I think i will have to start a new thread in the technical section but i would be most grateful for any help in this project. I didn't know about the difference in power between the two engines, there was talk on another forum about power differences but everyone said they were the same.

Basically I have
-mk1 engine with dizzy Very Happy
-mk1 ecu, inlet and manifold
-mk2/3 engine loom
-mk2/3 air filter pipe
-no maf Sad

I have got some cbr 600 carbs from a friend, or rather he said he has some and I said i'll probably take them for a bargain price.

So what your saying is basically I would be best finding a mk2 head and swapping the full lot over. Its going into a mk4 swift (i think its a mk4) and i want to use it as a track day car, not like a full on lets go mental with it and throw lots of money at it, more as a nice gentle push into driving hard. Its something I have always wanted to do and i have always said i wanted to gti my swift so what better time.

I'll start a new topic in technical section with some photo's as well when i upload them! But thanks for your help miniswift and dominator

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  typhoon 02/11/10, 06:04 pm

ive got a nice set of twin 40 webbers with manifold and all the regulators you need,bolt on and ready to go,no messing around getting a manifold made for bike carbs. came off my race car after i went to throttle bodies

pm me if your interested
typhoon
typhoon

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 02/11/10, 06:07 pm

no worrys mate, just think yourself lucky you got a mk1 engine, the dizzy alone is an easy £100-150
im sure someones got decent mk2 head laying about for sale, and mate the carbs up to a useable set of cams and she`l be making some decent power
if your going down the bike carb route then the most expencive item will be the inlet mani, i made my own for a r1 carb set, but i had to sell it to fund my recent engine build
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11473969@N02/4571024378/in/set-72157601490303153/

the mk1 maf should be on the end of the inlet mani, not further down the pipework like a mk2

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 02/11/10, 06:31 pm

Hi,

No problem there.
If you can find a cylinderhead, it will help you a lot.
In my service manual appendix, it tells you that port shape and radius inside has changed. So you could say it has stage 2 head in mk2 compares to mk1 Gti.

I know some people have managed to get 30% more with camshafts, R1 carbs and std exhaust manifold but aftermarket system.

If you want to get special manifold, let me know. I can ask my friend to cast it for you.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 02/11/10, 10:12 pm

Hi,

Just to let you know of difference between mk1 and mk2.
Throttle body mk1 is 41mm and mk2 is 45mm. Airflow meter mk1 38mm and mk2 45mm. Bore of manifold mk1 32mm and mk2 40mm.
Port changes are 20mm rad in mk1 and 75mm rad in mk2 for exhaust side and 70mm rad to 100mm rad for the inlet side.

In JDM mk1 Gti had 97 ps but 110ps is mk1 ph2. This engine is used from mk2 Gti in UKDM but with different camshafts, exhaust manifold and lower CR.
In JDM Cultus Gti it became 115ps, so 113Bhp should be easy enough to get.

My engine should be goof for 135 ish with R1 carbs, Group A camshafts and port and polished cylinder head.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  typhoon 04/11/10, 06:32 pm

think you might be being a tad optimistic Atchi with power you think your going to get

my race engine had BP300 piper cams,forged pistons,big valve head,ported and polished etc etc etc and running throttle bodies with engine management and was mapped at 140.4bhp
typhoon
typhoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 04/11/10, 09:52 pm

Hi,

Well, I have a friend who has 130bhp with std internal with std cylinder head.
He had BD10 camshafts, R1 carbs with modified dizzy.

My engine has port and polished head with skimmed head to increase CR.
I have gruop A camshafts, 45 degree one off cylinder head to take R1 carbs.
I have been told I could get 140 but I'm looking to get 135Bhp.

So I hope what I'm talking about should be OK!

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 05/11/10, 11:07 am

i duno typhoon, 135 sounds about right
hamgar had about that in his gti tintop
all he had was p+p head twin 40`s and tighe 952 cams (suposed to be the grp `a` grind) and for some reason he kept the mk2 dizzy, so no spark advance either
weird i know, but it worked

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  swiftkid 05/11/10, 12:33 pm

If im honest, I'm really not that bothered about figures as I'm never going to put it on a r/r. What i want to achieve is nice usable power that I can use on a track, it would be nice to suprise a few cars but as its going to be my first track day the most important part is for me to enjoy myself!

I think my shopping list at moment will be a carb setup and a mk2 head. Does anyone know if the bolts for the manifold are different between mk1 and 2? Just a thought was to get my existing engine running so i know it goes first then start swapping parts.

swiftkid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down