UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend

5 posters

Go down

I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend Empty I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend

Post  ADAM 30/03/10, 06:18 pm

Well as some of you know i had a 1.3 SOHC 8v Swift GS and i have bought a GTI lump (and the rest of the car) to go into my GS.

I started the conversion a couple of weeks ago and was stopped by finding a couple of engine mounting wholes had stripped threads and one had a snapped bolt in it. Also had problems with snapped exhaust manifold studs. Evil or Very Mad

Well finally the engine is (cross your fingers) ready to go in and the plan is to do it this friday onwards really as its the start of the easter hols and would be a nice break from uni work.

Will post a load of photos up of the conversion etc once im done if you all interested, and will report back on whether the engine runs or not and on any problems i may find. Hopefully i dont find any Very Happy Very Happy .

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

http://www.tyrrellautomotive.com

Back to top Go down

I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend Empty Re: I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend

Post  daymoon 30/03/10, 06:31 pm

looking forward to seeing the pics!

I am going to do same conversion except mine is a 1.0 gls...

if you could write up what parts u have changed and what year swift yours is ( and donor car) would be great!

daymoon

Back to top Go down

I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend Empty Re: I may Finally get the Swift done this weekend

Post  ADAM 30/03/10, 06:51 pm

ahh right, does that mean you will need to change some mounts as u have a different block??

I think the parts that i will be changing will be steering rack, (ive been told its a quicker rack on the GTI), the fuel pump, the front and rear brakes ( i have drums on the rear atm), will be using the rear anti roll bar from the GTI, and probs change the braking system.

Will try and do a full right up once im done.

and my GS is a 1992 K reg Mk2 Phase 2, and the GTI Donor car is a 1992 K reg, MK2 Phase 2

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 30/03/10, 07:00 pm

good luck mate

I had a 8v once, didnt notice any difference in the steering rack, you can adjust the steering wheel height on the Gti which is handy.
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 30/03/10, 07:05 pm

oh so your cars are both same year. thats handy...

are you reusing standard gti airbox?

are you mounts same on 8v and 16v? as i read some where that as they are both g13b blocks they are the same.

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 30/03/10, 07:12 pm

stevieh6 - im not sure if its different or not but i thought beens as a couple of people have said its a quicker rack i may as well change it.

daymoon - Yer it is handy that there the same, im gunna put a K&N on the car so wont be using the Airbox ( not that ive got the old airbox anyway ). Yer they have the same block, the GTI lump is called the G13B and i think the GS lump is a G13BA or somthing, and yer the mounts are the same so it should be an easy conversion.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 30/03/10, 07:15 pm

Would you be happy to give up you airbox mounts so i can have them? Very Happy

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 30/03/10, 07:19 pm

if i can find them then yer dont see why not. The problem ive got is that the engine wasnt in the engine bay when i bought it so i dont know what brackets etc i will be missing. Once its all in and working i will sort through what i have left over and let you know.

I already know that i will have the electric windows and door cards to match from the GTI for sale as i dont want to put them into my GS

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 30/03/10, 07:20 pm

great! will remind u later Razz

electric windows are awesome! put the in!

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 31/03/10, 03:20 pm

all blocks are g13b the gti is called a g13k [engine ] mate the g13ba is sohc good to know when you order parts

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 31/03/10, 06:33 pm

the Gti is a G13b. But I dont think the block on the 8v is as strong as the Gti block
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 01/04/10, 07:09 pm

ahh ok, yer i knew the GTI was a G13B and the GS was a G13BA, didnt know about the strength differences tho.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 01/04/10, 07:51 pm

the gti has a forged crank standard Smile
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 01/04/10, 08:15 pm

the blocks are all the same however the internals are different

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 01/04/10, 09:50 pm

stevieh6 wrote:the gti has a forged crank standard Smile
and rods Razz

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 03/05/10, 10:53 pm

is this done yet? Very Happy

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  ADAM 05/05/10, 12:59 pm

not quite yet, havnt touched it for a while because of uni, had loads of coursework to get in recently and also exams. I finish uni this saturday so will hopefully get it done soon, altho im working on sunday and then still working monday through till friday back in buckingham so wont be able to work on it in the evening.

It is nearly done tho, just need to finish swapping the looms ova and then the brakes.

Cheers
ADAM
ADAM
ADAM

Back to top Go down

Post  daymoon 09/07/10, 06:09 pm

Well, any updates NOW? Arrow

daymoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down