UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Used.....

4 posters

Go down

Anyone Used..... Empty Anyone Used.....

Post  IanJ 08/07/09, 06:16 pm

Hi all since owning my gti i have been meaning to upgrade the exhaust system ive had the car for over 3 yrs and never got round to doing it due to cost etc i was thinking of getting a Janspeed off ebay as ive got their 4 branch manifold on too, few months ago u could pick up the whole system on ebay for £169 i thought that was a good deal!! Now ive got some money saved up ive decided to have a Cat bk stainless steel system fitted by MIJ performance exhausts in walsall just wanted to know has anybody used them in the past im paying £275 for the system that includes fitting the lot ill take some pics when its been done Very Happy HOPEFULLY BE A GD JOB
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet
first car: Suzuki Swift GSI

Back to top Go down

Anyone Used..... Empty Re: Anyone Used.....

Post  STEVEGTI 08/07/09, 08:45 pm

i havent but if your gonna stay n/a use 2" internal diameter and just a back box if ya want it it little quiter have a middle box fuck the cat off he is a power thief

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 09/07/09, 08:51 pm

its definetly a power thief, but every time i put mine back on for the mot i always notice the extra mid range tourqe , it could be that im using a janspeed mani but i have a 4-2-1 to fit if i ever get my engine finished Rolling Eyes

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 11/07/09, 07:27 pm

Been today to have it done took them around 2hrs so far very pleased with what they have done Very Happy
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 11/07/09, 08:07 pm

pics
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 11/07/09, 11:11 pm

Anyone Used..... IMG_0627

Anyone Used..... IMG_0629

Anyone Used..... IMG_0631

Im happy with it only thing i was unsure about is the diameter of the piping they used ?? What does everyone think of it ??
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 12/07/09, 08:35 am

looks tidy but looks big what diameter is it
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 12/07/09, 02:27 pm

Im not sure was hoping u could help i sent these pics to Edd he seems to think 2" im not sure i thought it looked abit small ?? the piping that is
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 15/07/09, 08:45 am

So does anybody know roughly what size the piping is then ?
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 15/07/09, 05:59 pm

cant realy tell from the pic mate
im sure someone you know has a tape messure, that will give you a rough idea
but it most likely is 2" though, i doubt they go to the trouble of working out flow/backpressure rates for each job so they just slap on 2" on everything, unless you specificly ask for a cirten size, but then they would`v prob charged you more coz they would have to order in a diferent size tube

make sure its proper stainless aswell, put a magnet to it, if it sticks then its the cheapo stuff most likely 430 grade
i did the test on mine when i had it done, the tube is fine, 304 grade but the box`s are 430
no sign of rust yet though

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 15/07/09, 06:04 pm

Cheers m8 it is hard to tell from the pics ill get a piece of string round then measure it, all the parts they use there supposed to be T304 grade stainless im really pleased i had it done one down side the misses says its too noisy coz she has to use it in the day at the moment lol next job sort out the ecu i have a toms chip fitted to the car only trouble is the ecu its in is a PH1 i no it works ok but it keeps the engine light on constantly now im not sure what to do either remove ecu out and unsolder it from that one and solder it into my Ph2 one coz the toms chip isnt ph specific are they? or do i take that out completly and buy a proper one for the ph2 ecu or just leave it will having ph1 ecu in make much of a difference i no ph1 didnt have lambda sensor so i take it mine wont be working ?? ive noticed alot of black dust around the exhaust already was the same on my old one is this due to it burning rich because of the ecu problem
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 15/07/09, 06:13 pm

Laughing

if your doing with the old "bit of string trick" then times the size by pie in mm
so if it is 2" it will be about 160mm long
51mmx3.1415927=160.2mm
to work it out the other way just divide instead of times
160.2mm/3.1415927=50.99mm
and that concludes the math lesson for today tongue

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 15/07/09, 06:20 pm

dont worry bout the toms chip, it might have a legendary staus but its an old programe and im sure they were ph specific
sell it on and get one of andys (garndi) chips in there, im more than happy with mine, it realy smoothed out the grpa cams i was using at the lower revs
what mods have you done to the engine? coz unless you are running different cams from standard i dont see much point in using a non std chip as the usual filter and exhaust dont need the extra fuel and ignition timing

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 15/07/09, 07:14 pm

Thanks m8 at the mo only got Janspeed mani that new exhaust system and induction kit but i have got plans for the future so would like a chip of some sort but whatever i do u reckon get rid of the toms chip? Ive had it in for over 2 yrs so perhaps i should just leave it lol as its a bugger to get the ecu in and out lol saying that what i should be concentrating on next is the handling still on standard springs and brakes are all standard so i fancy a set of lowering springs and a fresh set of disks and pads maybe cheers for ya advice m8 them garndi chips are about £80 aint they duno what to do lol decsions
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 15/07/09, 07:39 pm

it all comes down to cash at the end of it
if your on a buget keep the toms but i would change it back to standard atleast until you have done some significant mods to the engine, had to do it years back in my old gti just so it would pass the mot
i know its a pain in the arse but you will notice the petrol lasting a bit longer and you def wont notice the loss of a few hp that the chip gave you
i think andys chips are £80 fitted in the ecu, i got mine for £40, but that was about a year back

as for the susp/brakes, how much have you got?
changing the springs is one thing but the dampers wont be matched to the new spring rate and will be over worked and being quite old already will start seeping sooner rather than later
so if your going to do one then you might aswell do the other
changing the bushes will help alot aswell apart from the dampers it will be the most noticable mod to do to the susp, just coz it tightens everything up from what your used to
antiroll bars, if your just using it for the road a smaller increase on the rear is good for better turn in
and dont forget the usual braces

if your doing the brakes make sure you put some stainless hoses and dot5.1 fluid in
just doing that alone the brakes will feel a million dollars, dont use drilled discs just grooved, the holes crack after a time
pads are down to personal prefrence, mintex do some good pads, i used to have a set of 1144 compound but they squeeled like a pig in the summer, its a pity coz they were a realy good set of pads, they never faded once,even when i took her round brandshatch
i use frodo 2500 pads now they take a bit longer to warm up but theres no squeel

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 15/07/09, 07:59 pm

yep dominator is right theres so many people chipping standard cars its just not necassary i would focus on suspension for now bushes are a must underbody and struts are all very god try get a suzitech fornt strut witht he engine steady very good a bit pricey though and dont neglect your engine mounts andys ones are very good and not too savage

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 15/07/09, 08:10 pm

Cheers guys your help is much apprciated, since owning the car ive not really had the cash to do much but now ive got myself a better job insurance has come down i can spare a few extra dollars now, i think im guna go for another chip once ive got the mods to go with it, so im best saving up for a full set of them superflex bushes then ?? what about dampers who does them still for the gti i was fancying one of those whitline rear anti roll bars too ! One thing at a time though eh lol
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 15/07/09, 08:25 pm

koni still do the dampers, but theres always the £1000 coilovers you could get Wink
if your doing it youself it would be alot easyer to get all of the parts you need then take a week off work and fit it all in one go, thats what i did with my new gti, aint got no work so theres no need to rush
the only pains you might have is the fixings for the susp mounts
unless they have been losend recently they will be a right bitch and proabaly fall apart, try to get some new bolts if all the threads are intact, the main bolts on the susp arms are m10 fine thread so dont try normal m10 bolts coz you will def fcuk up the threads, i think the antiroll bar bolts are normal m8, but i cant remember, iv got a whole swifts worth of nuts and bolts in a big tub somewhere so if you need to know gimme a shout.
and the bushes
if theres one job i wished i never did myself it would be them, if you dont have the tools or a handy work shop full of them they will take ages
its not the fitting, its getting the old ones off the arms, and dont do it in the winter, anoying bushes and cold hands dont mix

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 16/07/09, 07:33 am

Cheers m8 yh i dnt famcy changing them bushes on my own if there a nightmare to do ive got the MOT in a couple of weeks im hoping its not guna need too much work doing THANKS 4 YOUR HELP M8 will get saving then for a few bits and bobs
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  kane 16/07/09, 07:30 pm

just one thing if u want to get koni damper try camberley auto factors if there is one by u it may be cheper then the internet and they are the yellow one so they Adjustable
kane
kane
kane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum