UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to set ignition timing with lightened pully?

4 posters

Go down

How to set ignition timing with lightened pully? Empty How to set ignition timing with lightened pully?

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 05/07/12, 07:54 pm

I have seen the post by Pauly on Redline but my question is how can this be done with a lightened single underdrive pully as there is no white mark Shocked

I hoping one of you fellas have tha same pully and can help me out as im pretty sure my timing needs adjusting. Its a suzukird one if that helps.

Thanks.
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

How to set ignition timing with lightened pully? Empty Re: How to set ignition timing with lightened pully?

Post  Almondo74 05/07/12, 08:10 pm

mine had a little notch on it at top dead center, plus u can use the center of the pulley to determine it, where the big bolt is.

is round with a bulge if u like to call it that(end of crank)

point north!
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

How to set ignition timing with lightened pully? Empty Re: How to set ignition timing with lightened pully?

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 05/07/12, 08:17 pm

Hmmm Neutral Can't remember seeing a notch on mine! Is yours from suzukird?

So is it basicly where the long bit sticks out from the centre hole? Embarassed

Thanks for a quick reply by the way Cool
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

Post  Almondo74 05/07/12, 08:30 pm

SUZUKI ROCKS wrote:Hmmm Neutral Can't remember seeing a notch on mine! Is yours from suzukird?

So is it basicly where the long bit sticks out from the centre hole? Embarassed

Thanks for a quick reply by the way Cool

yh mine was srd.

yh the long bit lol
but seriously get a manual it tells/shows you in there how to set ur timing

and no worries Smile
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 05/07/12, 08:38 pm

Yeah i downloaded the manual and like i say, paulys how-too is spot on so i rekon i'll be fine.

Just that i didnt know where the timing mark should be on the pully. Embarassed

Thanks mate. Cool
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 05/07/12, 10:12 pm

Theres a notch on mine, but its not at tdc, its slightly offset coz of the small gauge on the belt cover, I havnt seen a std pully for donkys but there should be a mark so you could match it on the new pully

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 06/07/12, 08:20 am

dominator wrote:Theres a notch on mine, but its not at tdc, its slightly offset coz of the small gauge on the belt cover, I havnt seen a std pully for donkys but there should be a mark so you could match it on the new pully

Gary thats confused me a bit mate (it doesent take much by the way Laughing )

When you say offset do you mean that the notch is not quite on the top/edge of the pully but more round on the face/front? Because im guessing there cant be any compromise on where tdc is?
Would you also confirm that the long bit sticking out from centre hole is tdc and that tdc is what i need to look for?

Its gonna be a few days before i can go poking around under the car to have a look by the way so forgive me if i ask too much.

By the way, when i fitted it i had to cut some of the plastic belt cover because it was rubbing against the pully, anyone else have that problem?

Thanks fellas. Very Happy
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 06/07/12, 01:09 pm

It is tdc but its not the same possition as the marks on the crank, the gauge on the cover is over a bit so the mark on the new pully will be aswell

theres a mark on the main crank/ cambelt pully to indicate tdc, the factory manual will have a drawing of it, make sure the cam pullys are lined up aswell for true tdc
Put the lower belt cover and new pully back on, theres a small gauge on the belt cover find zero and mark it off on the pully, then when you use a timing light it should flash about 6deg before 0 on the gauge

Mine used to rub aswell, I just left it to wear itself out

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 27/07/12, 08:39 am

Got my timing light yesterday so I want to give this a go this weekend.
Just want to check something - Do I leave the engine running during the whole procedure?

In particular, when bridging the loom plug. Should this be done with engine on or off?

The manual Sounds like the engine should be on the whole time. Says "start engine,warm to operating temp" etc and then goes through it all without mentioning turning the engine off again at any point.
But the redline guide says to switch engine on after bridging the loom plug scratch

Also will a paper clip be ok to bridge the plug?

Thanks fellas Very Happy
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 27/07/12, 09:48 pm

Paper clip will be fine, there isnt any major power there
Im sure the ignitions suposed to be off, cant remember, its been a long time since I done mine, if youv done it right you will hear a change in the engine, if you havnt the ecu will automaticly change it as you turn the dizzy so it stays the same, if that makes sense

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  SUZUKI ROCKS 28/07/12, 05:47 pm

All done Very Happy
Turns out there was a tiny mark machined into the pulley. Hard to see though so I marked in with some tip-ex Wink
Not a hard job at all once you know the procedure. Only tricky bit was trying to reach over and turn dizzy whilst looking straight down at the mark!

Tip for anyone else gonna do this, you might also want to mark 6* on the belt cover (tip-ex! Very Happy ) as it was quite hard to see where to aim for without.

Thanks for all the help fellas cheers
SUZUKI ROCKS
SUZUKI ROCKS

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 28/07/12, 07:11 pm

i just used to change pulley back to original takes 20 mins then set timing and swap em back done

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down