UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please

+2
STEVEGTI
chrisssy
6 posters

Go down

thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please Empty thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please

Post  chrisssy 28/05/09, 10:01 pm

ok im thinking about making my gls a gti but the engine i am looking at is a 1990 will i lose my electric windows or out else? or am i best looking for i think 1992+? for electric windows etc. like i'm not 100% sure what has to be changed with the electrics is it everything to the backlights , electric windows etc or isit just ignition ecu rev etc. im not a mechanic,just mechanically minded but would love the project and of course do alot more research before starting it.

chrisssy

Back to top Go down

thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please Empty Re: thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please

Post  STEVEGTI 29/05/09, 07:33 am

you need a gti loom any one will do you can always wire the windows seperate not a big deal you need a engine ecu gearbox shafts etc best is to get a whole gti off of ebay then swap the lot you will also need to put a rear anti roll bar linkage on the back either make one or cut the mounts off of a gti ph2 gtis had thicker anti roll bars so those are the ones to get if ya can

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please Empty Re: thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please

Post  dominator 29/05/09, 11:37 am

the engine loom and the chassis loom are 2 different things mate
the only thing that will need modifying is maybe the revcounter and spedo but that all depends on which gbox you will be using

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisssy 30/05/09, 10:53 am

thanks for the replys, i thought you had to change full loom glad its only the engine loom then.il be running it on a gti box if it buggers up then can the 1.0 box go on? also are the engine mounts the same ? i have hurd there different but some say there the same.
abit off topic now but do you think my swift will look better de-side stripped?

thinking of making my gls, gti , bit of help please DSC00390gg

chrisssy

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 30/05/09, 06:01 pm

mounts should be the same, i think only the overseas 3cyl`s had different mounting points
its quite easy to messure so it wouldnt be a problem to compare the two types
the 3cylbox will go on but it has diferent ratios, what ever you do dont chuck it away, if you need to rebuild the gti box, and you will, you can use all of the syncro`s and cwp out of the 3cyl box, thats what i did
1st and 2nd are the same as a gti but 3rd,4th,5th are longer and the final drive is shorter 4.1 for the gti and 4.4 for the 3 cyl
you might want to look into getting a gti speedo etc, but the water and petrol and revcounter will show different readings to the 3cyl unit

de strip

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 31/05/09, 09:26 am

thats why i said your best getting a whole gti then you can make it look like a gti aswell if ya want clocks dash carpet seats etc
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 10/06/09, 10:40 pm

the looms engine and chasis need to be of the same phase or the connectors between engine and chasis wont match up i had this problem when i converted my dads 5door glx completely to a 5door gti lol
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzerGTI 10/01/10, 06:01 pm

dominator wrote:mounts should be the same, i think only the overseas 3cyl`s had different mounting points gary
i had a 96 1.0 gls forest green (the car was a special edition model that was only built for 6 months in 96 but im sure its the same model as the 96-2002 one) and converted it to a gti. the mounts are totally different due to the extra cylinder. the engine and gearbox is further to one side. the rear mount needs to be a gti mount and the gearbox mount needs to be moved towards the front of the car about an inch. the bolt holes for the new mounting position were already behind the the panel in the new location so it is just a case of drilling through the surface to reveal the thread. the mount on the engine side at the front is alloy on a 3cyl that also needs changing to a steel gti mount which is also shorter. i used an engine from a mark2 phase2 and the wiring connected straight up.
dazzerGTI
dazzerGTI

Character sheet
first car: 1.0 gls fores green

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 10/01/10, 10:32 pm

yes the brackets are different due to the smaller engine, but im talking about the chassis mounts

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 10/01/10, 10:49 pm

Hi Chrissy,

If you are going ahead with this mod.
Can you give me a dib for 993 setup witheverything I need?
I think I just need engine, looms, ECU, Dizzy and speedo(just in case).
So that I can mod G10 turbo for the future use.

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down