UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spring rates ???

4 posters

Go down

spring rates ??? Empty spring rates ???

Post  swifty 12/12/11, 09:56 am

which rates do people find work best etc for road and circuit thanks
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

spring rates ??? Empty Re: spring rates ???

Post  swifty 31/01/12, 08:26 pm

Anyone ???
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  hobo 31/01/12, 08:43 pm

dunno about rates but my apex are fairly good
hobo
hobo

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 31/01/12, 08:47 pm

The two rarely go hand in hand! road springs on the track are too soft and track springs on the road are too hard.
What shock absorbers do you use, what tyre aspect ratio, full interior or stripped, etc.

from here we can take a stab at rates but a compromise will be around 250 fronts and 500 rears

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  hobo 31/01/12, 09:01 pm

im talking as a compromise mine are a little to hard for the road but on track arn't to bad
hobo
hobo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 31/01/12, 09:18 pm

Ok track then Lol and i use konis shocks which will be re valved to suit wot ever springs I go for and 50 profile tyres
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  hobo 31/01/12, 09:32 pm

same as me then mate about from the ragassed bit lol may need to look into that soon
hobo
hobo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 31/01/12, 09:36 pm

No idea where that post went Try again
for a road full interior non caged or prepared shell id stick with 350 front and 500 rear. and expect 60-80mm travel. for a fully welded in stripped race car perhaps go to 300 Front 600 rear and 50mm travel, but depends on driving style, you like understeer or oversteer. also what sway bars you got and bushes. How low do you want to run it...

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 31/01/12, 10:31 pm

It's stripped welded in roll cage 22mm rear anti roll bar 25mm front anti roll bar would like it as low as sensible not sure what travel I would want or need I would prefer enduced over steer as I've got welded rear diff which tends to cause a bit of understeer
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 31/01/12, 10:51 pm

Ah its a justy AWD so heavier in the rear and front actually. race only travel of about 40mm for a stiff chassis, maybe 50 depending on circuit. Ideal low is as low as possible but the swift suffers when too low. front arms pointing down to the outside slightly at rest unless you want to move the pickup points...?
is the cage tied to the strut tops?
Revalved Konis are Ok but for race you want a propper adjustable set, bump and rebound and stroke with preferebly adjustable oil rate and reservoir to keep them cool as Konis will heat up and change charecteristice lap after lap...they are only a good replacement road shock absorber afterall
I stick by my 300/600 as a starting point...but as racing goes its test test test, change one thing at a time and test again

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 02/02/12, 08:01 am

Ok thanks don't realy want to move pick up points and yer cage is welded to top mouts as using a coilover setup and its more track day fun than race so prob 50 55mm travel would be best ?? Would you still use 300 600 for that cheers
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 02/02/12, 07:43 pm

ui like 350 fronts 600s back on a semi slick thats perfect for me

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 03/02/12, 10:07 am

At circa 15 pounds a spring try 280, 300, 325 on the front. (this is the only real way to get it right)
Do you have coil overs in the rear too...and are they over the shock absorbers or a modified standard spring location...
If you do have you want a similar spring rate to the front do not use 600's on a true rear coliover the 600 is to make allowance for the standard spring location halfway along the Arm/leaver. if your viscous is welded id go 20-25 lower on the rear to get some squat on takeoff. maybe even lower.
is the cage tied to the front towers or rears only? How close are they to the actual top mount
as the swift is a short ass car with limited suspension travel especially when lowered they tend to cock a rear inside wheel on tight turns, this might not be aceptable in AWD as 1 of 4 wheels is doing nothing. if you find this you have 3 options.
1 leave it as is (rear lsd will help waste less energy)
2 stiffer springs to reduce roll but this will induce slip earlier onthe tyres (use beter tyres)
3 bigger front rollbars smaller rear to induce more rear droop

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 07/02/12, 03:42 pm

Hi thanks for the info its true coilover on the rear springs over the shock and the roll cage is fixed to the rear towers only ruffly where the wheel arch bit meets the top of the towers its also got a 22mm rear anti roll bar also will have pillow ball top mounts all round so am I right in saying somewhere around 300 all round would be a good start
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down