UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

honda civic konis to swift conversion

+3
redline
Almondo74
swifty
7 posters

Go down

honda civic konis to swift conversion  Empty honda civic konis to swift conversion

Post  swifty 15/10/11, 08:22 am

full honda civic koni coilover conversion this involved quite a bit of work but saved loads the fronts are mounted using a clamp to bolt on fitment adaptor i made and a top mount plate to convert the holes also incorporating camber adjust again something i made also i had to fit a bearing for the steering as hondas mount to the wishbone this was done by buying a needle bearing from general bearing suppliers and then i machined a new cup up out of alluminum to house the bearing and remount the spring, the rear were more a case of chasis mods involving cutting out inner arch and some of the turret and rebuilding them bigger, the bottom of the shock i cut the civic fork mount of a clamped it in using a 1mm space to take up the slack in the hole, at the top i made a cup up the house the spring incorporating the standard swift top mount (had to drill the top mount steel sleve out a bit). and that was about it job done the car handles realy well now just got bit of understeer only issue im having so far is the rear wheels rubbing but going to look into this soon

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0111

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0112

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0113

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0115

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0117

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0118

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0119

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0125

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0127

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0130

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0131

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0133

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0135

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0138

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0146

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0143

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0142

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0141

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0148

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0144

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0149

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0155

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0161

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0152

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0151

honda civic konis to swift conversion  IMAG0164
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

honda civic konis to swift conversion  Empty Re: honda civic konis to swift conversion

Post  Almondo74 15/10/11, 10:01 am

i thought gedis used civic shocks before and they bent, dont no if its the same civic shocks plus urs are coilovers.

hope ur welds are good Razz
Almondo74
Almondo74

Character sheet
first car: Swift GL

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001716634958

Back to top Go down

honda civic konis to swift conversion  Empty Re: honda civic konis to swift conversion

Post  swifty 19/10/11, 10:29 am

o rite i hope they dont bend n yer they should be good i got my dad to check them and hes a fabricator by trade so hopfully they hold lol
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  redline 19/10/11, 11:56 am

In my opinion,too much work for nothing. There is no point investing in swift handling as swift and handling are two opposite sides.
Yes,you can tell me,swift is great trough bends,but since I had megane,clio,and other corner happy car,I can tell you that even with
all this fitted on swift u can barely keep up with saxo vts,peugeot 106gti,205gti,not to mention clio sport which will destroy you on factory setup...

redline

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 19/10/11, 12:41 pm

You being serious lol!??? do you have a clue what your talking about?

Have you seen typhoons race car?? Out handles quite a few cars on the track....

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 19/10/11, 04:20 pm

Hang on, lets not dampen the subject here (pun intended), good work swifty, even if its your dads work :-P, im planning to do somthing similar the the shell im preping now, but im building adjust camber in the rear susp turrets aswell
I think gedis dampers bent coz he didnt cutout the covered bit where the damper goes up in the chassis, plus it was realy low so the 2 didnt mix
What diameter I the body of the front dampers with the collar? Coz they look like they will slip into the oe swift rear hub carrier

Redine, why do you run a swift?
of course megane and clio sport will be better than a swift coz they arnt a 20 year old chassis design, the engine is over 25 years aswell
The swift isnt even in the same class
Megane 2.0 turbo
Clio 2.0 na
205 1.9 na
106/saxo 1.6 na
at the end of the day the swift is a 1.3 toy, its not suposed to compete with those cars, but the fact that it can makes it the better car coz of it

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  redline 19/10/11, 05:22 pm

I bought it,because it was cheap,low insurance,cheap maintenance,good mpg compared to car with similar bhp,also it's quick on straight line,but I would rather not go quick trough corners,at least with std.setup. Car is tail happy,very short,and you know the combination of that,it makes u roof it or spin it.
You can make any car better,it's just matter of money and effort. Since NOW Swift GTi is all about going quick while staying cheap,it doesn't make ro much sense to spend more money than it's worth. Ok these guys are doing all by themself,so you can't really count the money except for these coil-overs,
but for the rest of the gang, if you wanna go fast trough a corners,just sell GTi,buy a Clio Sport,you don't have to like my opinion,if you convince me otherwise I'll believe you...

And here's what happens when u think you drive a great handling car...
It was my mate's car he sold it day before yesterday,and here it is today...
honda civic konis to swift conversion  Get_image_variation

redline

Back to top Go down

Post  Gedis 19/10/11, 05:37 pm

looks rly nice, and well build, but the problem is, swift suspension is macpherson type, the shock is fixed to the knuckle, where the shock takes side loads, but the civic suspension is multilink one, and the shock only takes only vertical loads, therefore the shocks are different and i think that's why mine bended, i might be wrong though, i hope yours will be fine =]

Gedis

Back to top Go down

Post  hobo 19/10/11, 06:59 pm

in my opinion i wouldn't get rid of my swifts for nothing else i have never had a problem driving them and even on my one with standard suspension it handles fine and you drive to your ability and your cars limits and as for french cars! what a fucking joke never again! and all of those have real problems getting rid or keeping up with gti swifts
hobo
hobo

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 19/10/11, 07:57 pm

not trying to convince you redline, i agree with some of it, especialy std swift handling
when i got my 1st gti it was bog standard, i went from 309 gti and the difference in the handling was alot, the 309 was just lowered, but it was a sweet drive compared to the std swift
it took many years of modding to get my swift how i like it, but thats what its all about isnt it?
the whole point of this thread is about the susp setup hes made for prob half the price of a set made for the swift, which is something i will always encourage, if youv got the skills, use them!

i think your mates old gti would still be in one piece if he sold it to someone with a bit more skill behind the wheel Wink

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan... 19/10/11, 09:51 pm

dominator wrote:not trying to convince you redline, i agree with some of it, especialy std swift handling
when i got my 1st gti it was bog standard, i went from 309 gti and the difference in the handling was alot, the 309 was just lowered, but it was a sweet drive compared to the std swift
it took many years of modding to get my swift how i like it, but thats what its all about isnt it?
the whole point of this thread is about the susp setup hes made for prob half the price of a set made for the swift, which is something i will always encourage, if youv got the skills, use them!

i think your mates old gti would still be in one piece if he sold it to someone with a bit more skill behind the wheel Wink

gary

Agreed

I've drove various cars inc a new clio (56 plate) and standard they are better....but like said the swift is 20 years old!

With 45mm PI Springs £80.00 and Koni Shockers £200.00 (Cheap setup) I have a really nice, firm, really well handling swift.... IMO, On the track and streets I have lost bigger engined, newer cars in the bends....

P.S Mine is a 1.0 and will soon be fully poly bushed with front and rear strut braces as I am racing in next years Suzuki Sprint Championship which i aim to win the 1.0-1.3 class

Ryan...

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 20/10/11, 08:10 am

u do realise ive also got an evo so i no how cars can handle and if i could loose a bit of understeer my swift wouldnt fair to bad behind the evo hopefully the evo quick and handles amazingly but my swift/justy is bar far more fun and faster, everyone expect certain cars to be fast but when you piss all over them in a an old little suzuki the look of suprise and how gutted they are is well worth, why the f**k are you ranting bout french cars so much there okish until the electrics fail or a head gasket goes but at the end of the day thers fuck all potential in any french car in my opion if you want good performance car you get a jap car they have it hands down, any way going back to my suspension ill check the measurements of the front for ya mate and ive made rear camber adjusters aswel but i sloted out the wishbone arm and made offset washer etc for them i read that you get more adjustment doing it on the wishbone i think i posted it on here and i done all the work just got my dad to check it like i say just need to loose some of the understeer hoping polly bushes and having all the camber etc set up will help and sort the brakes,
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 20/10/11, 07:39 pm

funny you should say that, the 309gti had h/gasket blow Laughing , i was young and no knowledge of how to do it so i got rid
i remember the thread of your rear arms, you extended the fixing point and used a slot and cam bolt didnt you? very similar to the rear o/e toe adjustment setup
im thinking more along the lines of permenently extending the arms and sort the rest out with the top mounts, iv already played around with the fronts, im using nova bolt on ball joints and extended the arms 20mm, should give about 1.5 deg
fair play on all the fab work, you said your dad was a fabricator so i just assumed
have you done anything to the diffs?

gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  hobo 20/10/11, 10:06 pm

Ryan... wrote:
dominator wrote:not trying to convince you redline, i agree with some of it, especialy std swift handling

gary

Agreed

I've drove various cars inc a new clio (56 plate) and standard they are better....but like said the swift is 20 years old!

With 45mm PI Springs £80.00 and Koni Shockers £200.00 (Cheap setup) I have a really nice, firm, really well handling swift.... IMO, On the track and streets I have lost bigger engined, newer cars in the bends....

P.S Mine is a 1.0 and will soon be fully poly bushed with front and rear strut braces as I am racing in next years which i aim to win the 1.0-1.3 class

any more info on this championship mate?
hobo
hobo

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  swifty 21/10/11, 04:18 pm

Yer that was my post m8 have you got any pics of those front arms with nova joints sounds good
swifty
swifty

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 21/10/11, 04:30 pm

Have a look in my fickr link
I hink theres a couple of them loosly bolted on, I beefed up the arm with a tophat section underneath and another bit of flat on top, the only issue is the nova joint are at an angle so iv cut a slot in the flanges an pressed it at an angle to compensate, but that raises the arb mount holes up a bit, so im thinking about using rose joints for the arb links, its all a work in progress atm, but at the end of it I will have easyly changable ball joints, with the option to change to grp a spec nova joints and a bit of free camber to boot

Gary

dominator

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down