UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just bought a gti

+2
AF34S
toskala1
6 posters

Go down

Just bought a gti Empty Just bought a gti

Post  toskala1 17/02/09, 09:25 pm

Hi guys, haven't posted in a while and I've just bought a 1992 swift gti to replace my 1 litre gti lookalike.

I'm not too good with cars but was hoping you could help me out.

Just wondering what sort of mpg I'm going to be able to get out of it?

I'm probably going to be looking at getting 2 front wings as the wheel arches have started to rust, what can i expect to pay for these?

I'm not a big fan of the current exhaust either, its really loud. Was wondering if anyone could advise me on a quieter exhaust that would fit my car?

Anyway, I'm feeling a little apprehensive at the moment but i had to buy it as I've wanted one since i passed my test. If anyone can answer my questions I'd be very greatful.

Cheers.

Heres a pic, probably the worst side.
Just bought a gti 18022010

Last edited by toskala1 on 18/02/09, 04:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : insert picture)

toskala1

Back to top Go down

Just bought a gti Empty Re: Just bought a gti

Post  AF34S 18/02/09, 05:52 pm

Round town not driving like a Granny I get 38mpg (don't do km/l, too old).
Try to find an original twin outlet exhaust system - very quiet, and as there are so many people running after market exhaust systems might be easy to buy used.
Wings I can't help with (see location Very Happy )

AF34S

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 18/02/09, 06:45 pm

looks nice i love red swifts well done as for th exhaust swifts are generally loud a custom exhaust woukld be best for noise 2" with a back box and a middle box would also perform well also. what exhaust is on there at the minute

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet
first car: suzuki swift gti

http://www.uk-ssgti.com

Back to top Go down

Post  toskala1 18/02/09, 06:59 pm

thanks for the help, spent all day cleaning it today. I should be getting it sprayed pretty soon hopefully too, my dad knows someone who is going to sort it for me. Think i might be in need of new wings before that happens though. 38 mpg sounds perfectly fine, i was just concerned as the needle seems to have dropped alot but that might have been me driving abit hastily with it being a new car.

So my plans are just to respray it red, also thinking of refurbing the alloys and spraying them white. Maybe a light tint on the back windows too.

As for the exhaust. I'm not sure what it is, I'll have to try find out. I just know its got a twin exit and its real loud. Are these cars loud stock anyway?

Thanks again guys.

toskala1

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 18/02/09, 07:25 pm

yes they are loud stock get a pic of the pipe up
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  AF34S 19/02/09, 02:45 am

I disagree Steve
I've got three GTi's with factory exhaust systems and they are all very quiet.
I reckon if yours is loud someone has hammered most of the baffles out or something

AF34S

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 19/02/09, 08:43 am

persanally ive only hade one stock gti and since then its all benn modded and i found it was fairly loud howerver prob more of a ph1 thing due to no cat

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisssy 22/02/09, 03:06 pm

clean gti mate , what plans you got for it after the wings are sorted?
as for the exhaust if your just looking for a cheap 1 for now do you know that car scrap yard behind asda in south bank? well theres about 4 but in 1 of them, a few weeks back when i was there , there was a purple/blue m reg 1.3 8v swift, that exhaust would probably fit yours not sure if it would effect your performance though. one of the lads on here will know if it will. also the wings might be in better nik then yours not sure you should have a look, only 5mins from you isnt it?

chrisssy

Back to top Go down

Post  STEVEGTI 23/02/09, 09:15 am

g13ba exhausts are no suited to the gti you need one off of a g13k aka gti

steve
STEVEGTI
STEVEGTI
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  toskala1 23/02/09, 10:44 am

Cheers for the heads up chrissy. I'll probably have a look at the wings. Just changed the oil and put a new filter on, new plugs and cleaned the air filter out. The car had some pretty fancy bosch super 4 plugs in but i figured i'd change them for some new ones anyway. Still need to get a pic of the exhaust up.

Got me dad to have a look at it structurely, theres some welding been done on the sills but hes a welder and is going to finish it off properly. Hopefully that won't be too far off so i can get it sprayed.

toskala1

Back to top Go down

Post  IanJ 23/02/09, 04:46 pm

If ur a after a new pair of wings braversauto panels i found were the cheapest nice car by the way m8 put that in on google should bring up their website
IanJ
IanJ

Character sheet
first car: Suzuki Swift GSI

Back to top Go down

Just bought a gti Empty swift

Post  streetcruiser2007 26/05/09, 07:59 pm

nice car mate.

i have a janspeed exhaust system which i think is not very loud compared to others, my new engine is just haveing the exhaust coming straight of the turbo to the front bumper Very Happy . (reason y is the funds are running low)
as for wings i can get them for £19 each. try your local motor factor part companys.
streetcruiser2007
streetcruiser2007

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down