UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

increasing caster?

4 posters

Go down

increasing caster? Empty increasing caster?

Post  stevieh6 29/05/11, 08:18 pm

To increase caster all you do is fit 3 x washers between the wishbone and the car to bring the wishbone forward.

Does anybody know what size the washers are so i can order some?
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

increasing caster? Empty Questions

Post  DougSwift 01/06/11, 01:32 pm

Dude you ask some very stupid questions. How about you put that crack pipe down and have a think next time!

Regards
Doug
BSC
SSC
JLSA

DougSwift

Back to top Go down

increasing caster? Empty Re: increasing caster?

Post  gtpswift 01/06/11, 03:45 pm

Doug,
Think your being a little harsh here,
the washer trick will work but has disadvantages.
firstly it will move the lower balljoint further forward by the thickness of the washers, which should result in more caster. Not alot but some as the amount is limited to getting the nut back on the mount thread. Im guessing maybe 3-4mm without compromising attachment. secondly it pulls the rear pivot out of the rubber block by the same amount, which under certain conditions could be bad as the pivot could pullout (probably unlikely depending on amount moved forward).
It will stretchthe swaybar mounts/drop links marginally
It will increase the wheel base by several mm's or at least help correct setback if the geometries are suspect.
I would prefer to adjust these things at the top rather than the bottom or fabricate special lower mounts to achieve the results. Id want as much caster as possible for all out performance but for a street car Id leave it alone or adjust at the top.

cheers,

GTP

Last edited by gtpswift on 01/06/11, 06:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

increasing caster? Empty caster

Post  DougSwift 01/06/11, 05:31 pm

Indeed a little cold and I admire your tolerance and willingness to help. I'm obviously getting old and grumpy but this isn't the first time I've seen a how long is a piece of string type question from Stevie. You have to admit it was a rather dumb question though!

Being a little more civilised I use the Noltec adjustable tops which although not cheap work extremely well mine have to be getting on for 8 years old and are still going strong. Superflex used to do a replacement bush for the bottom arm that puts a respectable amount of caster on. It's defiantly a worthwhile mod even for road use and improves the cars turn in significantly. I have a set of the Superflex bushes floating around that I could part with but it would be worthwhile contacting them to see if they are still available!

Regards
Doug
BSC
SSC
JLSA

DougSwift

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 01/06/11, 11:33 pm

i only wanted to know the size of the washer so i can go buy some. Doug your a prick. Get out
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

increasing caster? Empty dumb

Post  DougSwift 02/06/11, 12:50 pm

I may be a prick sometimes but at least I have half a brain Smile

You need two 3.373mm and one 1.753mm washers for each side with an internal diameter of 69.0898mm. Good luck!

Regards
Doug

DougSwift

Back to top Go down

Post  jesseswiftgti 04/06/11, 10:22 pm

why dont you both fuck eachother and make up
jesseswiftgti
jesseswiftgti

Character sheet
first car: 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down