UK-SSGTI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brake disk machining

4 posters

Go down

brake disk machining  Empty brake disk machining

Post  gtpswift 11/05/11, 09:26 pm

Guys, Im looking to have some new brake disks turned down in diameter by about 3mm for a GTi ont Justy brake conversion. Anyone in the london area able to do this or know someone who may be able to do it.

cheers

Justin p

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

brake disk machining  Empty Re: brake disk machining

Post  stevieh6 11/05/11, 09:30 pm

why do you need them machined down?
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 11/05/11, 10:50 pm

Stevie,
Incorrectly bought GTi hubs and driveshafts to go with Gti calipers and discs after getting bad advice. Need 1600 driveshafts to suit GTi hubs on Justy. not spending hundreds of pounds on 1600 shafts so If I have circa 3mm machined of disc diameter I can fit Gti vented discs and GTi calipers. thicker discs, will be about 12mm larger diameter after conversion so possibly a worthwhile task. Plus I have all new drilled and slotted rotors, hoses, pads etc so might as well use them. Or I spend hundreds again on a wilwood conversion...

cheers,

GTP
JP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 14/05/11, 02:42 pm

anyone?

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Miniswift 14/05/11, 07:20 pm

Hi,

If you would like, I could take it into Nissan and get it machined for you.
Then again you have to send it to me and I have to send it down to you, too. So postage might be expensive but I can ask favours!

Cheers
Atchi

Miniswift

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 15/05/11, 07:34 pm

i thought the gti front disks were the same size as the justy. I need a new set of disks on my justy and was gonna get some gti ones, will they fit? Its all gti converted but not sure whats been done to the front brakes, although atm it has grooved disks on, not sure if you can get them for a justy?
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 15/05/11, 08:19 pm

Atchi,
thanks for the offer, Ill keep it in mind if I go that way. weighing up Wilwoods again? If im going to do it I might as well and sell the new and refurbed GTi stuff

Stevie,
While I have not tried it myself, and will do before I actually do machine anything, the GTi shafts do not fit the Justy Gearbox, therefore the GTi hubs cannot be fitted as the GTi Hub spline is different to the Justy. The GTi discs are larger diameter 262mm compared to my standard Justy 231mm, they fit the Justy Hubs but when I bolt the Gti caliper and mounting brackets onto the Justy hub they lock the disc tight as they disc is 3mm ish too large in diameter.
You can get grooved justy discs on E-bay about 50 ish pounds.

Cheers,

GTP
Justin

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  stevieh6 18/05/11, 12:12 pm

oh right, i better get the tape measure out then
stevieh6
stevieh6

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 18/05/11, 06:21 pm

if the budget allows why dont you go for a custom setup
i got mine about 8 years ago when you couldnt get the wilwood mod from andy so they wernt cheap, worth every penny though
285x26 disc ali bell, 4pot monoblock calipers using frodo 2500 pads atm http://www.flickr.com/photos/11473969@N02/1125648988/in/set-72157608174669877

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 18/05/11, 06:30 pm

Thats what Im looking into at the moment, have just bought some 4 piston calipers and looking at Rover 800 285mm disks, seem to have all the right dimensions 26 pounds a pair or 68 for crossdrilled and grooved. bargain! If I cant get a pre made caliper bracket Ill take my money elsewhere and have machined up a similar bracket to suit partially designed it already. (do you have a photo of yours)
Have the hoses and pads now so that might be how I go. Ill sell the GTi stuff as its all either reabuilt or new. But the method described above should be cheaper than the 1600awd shafts and standard GTi stuff but more expensive than the GTI discs being machined down, but it seems a waste to machine brand new disks for little gain.
Oh well its only money.
cheers,

GTP

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  dominator 19/05/11, 06:04 pm

havnt got a pic of the brackets at hand mate all i remember is on the profile its L shaped
the place i got them from is in kent, close to the m25 drove up there took the wheel off and did all the messurements, few weeks later i got them, im sure if you took the calipers, discs and the hub etc to them i think they could sort you out
http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/

gary

dominator

Character sheet
first car: renult 5 ts (1.7!)

Back to top Go down

Post  gtpswift 19/05/11, 06:12 pm

Thanks Gary,

Have 90 percent completed the design of the bracket (helps having CAD systems and rapid prototyping tools at work) just doing final check measurements and have found a machinist who will do it for a very reasonable fee in a couple of days. So all seems sorted at the moment.
But its always worth seeing other examples to cross check the ideas.

Cheers,

Justin P

gtpswift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down